9 Interesting Facts about Solar Power
via Scott Wudel, CPS Energy Newsroom
The use of solar power for homes and business is on the rise, but how much do you know about it? While most people know that solar energy comes from the sun, here are some fascinating and lesser known facts about it.
1. Solar energy ranks number one when it comes to the biggest energy resource on the planet. The Earth receives 173,000 terawatts of power from the sun on a regular basis, making it the most abundant source of energy in the world.
2. Solar energy isn’t just used to generate electricity for homes and businesses. Photovoltaic cells, or solar cells, can also be used to produce power for portable devices, such as phone chargers and calculators.
3. The space industry adopted the use of solar power back in the 1960s. This energy source was used to generate power on spacecrafts, including satellites.
4. Ancient Greeks and Romans made use of solar energy to heat their homes and provide light by including windows that faced south. Other ancient civilizations also used the sun’s rays for heating.
5. Solar panels have been around since the 1950s, but they weren’t used much in homes or businesses back then. Now, solar panels provide energy for many homes and businesses around the world.
7. Solar power can be used to provide homes and businesses with hot water, in addition to generating electricity. This helps property owners enjoy even greater utility savings while also lowering their carbon footprint.
8. Solar energy can be used to treat waste water, which cuts down on the use of chemicals or electricity for this same purpose.
9. Solar panels might look smooth from a distance, but they’re made up of tons of solar cells. These photovoltaic cells gather sunlight and convert it into electricity for home and business owners to use for power, heat and other purposes.
For more information on solar trackers, please visit Sun Action Trackers. Our company uses the latest solar technology to manufacture solar tracking systems.